I feel as though I should be posting about fiction contests since I am a fiction writer, but I keep getting word about these great poetry contests, so I will continue to post them. The most recent contest that I saw was the Bellday Poetry Prize, which has a 2,000 dollar award attached to it (not too shabby). The only thing is that the deadline is SOON. March 15th. Get on it, peeps. And they want a significant amount of writing, so if you are trying to think of what to do with that thesis of yours, you may want to look at this closely. Full details below.
BELLDAY POETRY PRIZE
$2,000 PRIZE TO WINNING POET
Submission Deadline: March 15, 2010
CONTEST FINAL JUDGE: LUCIA PERILLO
Lucia Perillo has published five books of poetry, including Dangerous Life (1989), The Body Mutinies (1996), The Oldest Map with the Name America (1999), Luck is Luck (2005) and Inseminating the Elephant (2009). She has also published one book of essays, I’ve Heard the Vultures Singing (2005). She has taught at four universities and was awarded a MacArthur Foundation fellowship.
Bellday Books will publish the winning book
and award $2,000 and 25 copies of the book to the winning author.
- Submit a manuscript of 60-90 pages of original poetry in any style in English. The manuscript must not have been published in book or chapbook, but may contain poems that have appeared in print or on the Internet. Entries may consist of individual poems, a book-length poem or any combination of long or short poems.
- Submitted manuscript must contain 2 title pages: Name and contact information should appear on first title page only. Name should not appear anywhere else in the manuscript. Include a table of contents page, but do not send an acknowledgements page.
- Manuscript must be typed single-spaced, paginated and bound with a spring clip.
- Enclose an SASE for announcement of the winner. Manuscript cannot be returned.
- Postmark deadline: March 15, 2010.
- Include a check or money order for $25 reading fee, payable to BELLDAY BOOKS.
- Bellday Books reserves the right not to select an award winner, in which case all reading fees will be refunded.
CONTEST MAILING ADDRESS
Bellday Books, Inc.
P.O. Box 3687
Pittsburgh, PA 15230
Questions may be directed to: